Monday, February 08, 2010

Truth! - part 13

The following statements are true (even if not all Macacqs are Trou):

I look forward to the day when "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is replaced with "HA! I totally called that!".

Most of what we call "trivia" in the game sense is not actually trivia. Most of it is really just general knowledge. Trivia is trivial, meaning "of no consequence". Knowing the British Prime Minister during WWII (Winston Churchill) is not trivia. Knowing the top selling soft drink in the DC Comics universe (Soder-Cola) is trivia.

If you are male and someone asks you if you're watching the Super Bowl and you say no, they will then ask you why. "Busy? Not your team? More into other sports? " If you are female, they won't ask you why. Why should I have to defend my lack of interest simply because I own a penis?

A weird coincidence: The Tao Te Ching, the book by which one interprets the I-Ching is called the "Book of Changes". I-Ching is done by throwing coins. In the west sometimes we call coins "change". "Ching" is a bit like the sound of falling coins. Doesn't mean a thing but I find it funny.

Emotions are not illogical. They, like all things, follow the dictates of logic. The issue is that too many of the variables involved in emotional response are unknown because they are internal to the one experiencing them. The external observer would have no knowledge of the internal variables, and the experiencer has a distorted view of the variables because of the emotional reaction they produce. Therefore neither the experiencer nor observer are able to predict an emotional situation with any reliability.

Saying you do or don't like Jazz, is like saying you do or don't like salads. What's in the salad? Lettuce? Potatoes? Dog shit? What are the ingredients of the Jazz? Sometimes it's iceburg lettuce (Glen Miller). Sometimes it's swiss chard with blue cheese and pear vinagrette (Miles Davis). Sometimes it's dog shit (Kenny G).

The best thing the Abrahamic religions have done for the world, arguably the only good thing, is the weekend. Sabbath schmabbath, but 2 days off work is pretty cool.

I'm 6'2" 210 lbs and have a comically large head. I want to replace my Jeep with one of those tiny little Smart Cars, just because it would always be funny to see me get out of it.

"Late adopter" is synonymous with "cheap bastard".

I don't enjoy reading in the strictest sense of the word "enjoy". Not in the same way I enjoy sex or good food or watching movies. I like having read things. I enjoy having the stories or knowledge in my mind once I have read them. The actual act of doing the reading though is not what I do it for; I do it for the results of having read. It's like house cleaning. I enjoy the clean house, but the actual act of cleaning is not the enjoyable part. There must be a word for that distinct type of delayed enjoyment. Maybe in German.

I stumbled upon an exquisite form of revenge against someone who chronically won't shut the fuck up. 1) Get him stoned 2) Read aloud from your blog until he pees his pants and runs from the room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home