Thursday, May 04, 2006

Ecce Homo (aka mini-bio part II)

When last we left our hero, he had just gotten divorced and started his real life. I feel compelled to point out an error in my previous entry: I neglected to mention that I got married, hence the divorce. I didn't get divorced without getting married first. That would be silly. After my divorce there was a great deal of wreckage to clean up. The next decade or so was spent doing that, while simultaneously trying to have a life too. As I was a 23 years old male in Seattle in the early 90's, I was required by law to join a band. I played guitar and flute in a band called Mama Lama with my friends Diano and Scotty. That dissolved eventually, which is for the best as I would not become a competant musician for several years yet. After that dissolved, I started acting (you know, the thing I went to college for) quite frequently with Stepping Stone Productions. I also founded Not Named Bob, my forray into radio format comedy (ala Firesign Theatre). It was well received by the 20 or so people that saw it, but unfortunately none of us had any gift for promotion so we just faded into oscurity. However, it was at this time when I started to realize that acting in regular 'plays' was not exactly where my muse wanted me to go; close but not quite. Deep down I was a sketch comedian. It was then that I and my cohort, Aaron, founded Lo Blo, a sketch comedy troup whose primary Modus Operandi was to find the line of good taste, cross it, make fun of the people that did not cross it, piss on it, set it on fire, and then draw a new line somewhere else with the intent of crossing it later. We had some modest success early on, and had a company of around 13 people (not all at once), but due I think primarily to bad press (which is to say, being utterly ignored by the press) our houses dwindled, our reslove faltered and we ceased to function as a unit. It was somewhere around 2001 that Lo Blo faded away, but not before producing our magnum opus, a cinematic tour de force called X-Treme Surfing. I then hopped on the bandwagon of Theatre on the Rocks. To call them sketch is not entirely accurate; it was more of a variety show and excuse to drink cocktails on stage. There was some sketch involved, but there were also guest performers, a house band, games ("Name the Movie, Win Some Crap"), and other stuff. Its founder, Nellis, moved out of town and we decided to keep the group going but retire the name out of respect for him. We rechristened ourselves The 13th Step; somewhere between 'Jefferson Starship' and 'AfterMASH'. We managed to pull off three shows, and had a fair following, until evetually we all started to drift away from the project for no specific reason. I then started to work with Open Circle Theater, drawn primarily to their yearly adaptions of H.P. Lovecraft stories, of which I have written two. I have been working with them ever since and, thanks to them, in a month will be debuting my latest sketch comedy project, THEM!, combining my two great loves, sketch comedy and horror.

So that's my abbreviated biography. I hope you enjoyed it. I have left out a number of things, my love life, my tumultuous relationship with my family, my experiences with the paranormal, travel, specific childhood stories, all of which are topics in and of themselves. My love life itself will probably be a 10 parter. I will be revisiting these topics later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home